Springfield MA School District
Instructor: Diana Scalera Assistant Media Coordinator Region 5 Media Center MS 202 Q 138-30 Lafayette Street Ozone Park, New York 11417 Phone: 718 848 5242 email: email@example.com
Heritage Languages, Motivation and Technology June 28 – June 30, 2006
- To identify and investigate the relationship between teacher, student and community and its impact on heritage learner success;
- To examine assessment and placement of students in your particular schools into heritage learner courses and develop recommendations to create better placement;
- To examine curricular goals for heritage language students and make recommendations for improvement;
- To identify technology and Internet resources that will enrich instruction and lesson planning and make recommendations for developing the use of technology in the heritage language classroom.
- To create a web site for use in your classroom.
- To create recommendations for improvements to instruction available for heritage learners to share with the Springfield School District.
Recommended Textbooks and Resources:
National Standards in Foreign Language Education Project. Standards for Foreign Language Learning: Preparing for the 21st Century. Lawrence, Kansas: Allen Press, Inc. (American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages), 1996.
ACTFL K-12 Performance Guidelines, American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages.
Teaching Heritage Language Learners: Voices from the Classroom. Webb, John B. and Miller, Barbara L. Eds. American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages. Yonkers, NY. 2000.
- Participate in all discussions.
- Examine current programs and practices.
- Participate in a message board discussion that describes what is currently available for heritage students and how those services can be improved.
- Evaluate the experience and identify how technology can be integrated into the heritage language classroom.
- Create a web site that can be used with your students.
June 28: Who are heritage learners, their parents, their teachers and how can this information improve instruction? How can understanding the characteristics of heritage learners help improve placement and instruction?
June 29: What do we teach and how do we teach it? Investigate three strands of instruction: Affective, Academic and Behavioral.
June 30: What is the role of technology in the classroom? Compilation of web site and recommendations to the district. Assembling web site. Creating a document for discussion ( a message board?) to share your ideas with the district.