Shih Tzu Rescue, Adoption and Education Safehouse (S.T.R.A.E.S.)
PayPal - The safer, easier way to donate online!
Like us on Facebook
Click Our Pet List for a list of our adoptable pets.
Click Mark Your Calendars for information on upcoming special events.
Click Support Our Fundraisers for information on special promotions benefiting S.T.R.A.E.S.
Click Adopting a Friend for our adoption procedures.
Can't adopt, but want to help?
Click Our Wishlist for information on volunteering and donations.
Need some help in dealing with pet training and behavior issues? View free online positive training advice:
WHO WE ARE
Shih Tzu Rescue, Adoption & Education Safehouse (S.T.R.A.E.S.) is an all volunteer, not for profit, no-kill, licensed animal shelter, established in 1999 to provide sanctuary, loving care and an adoption program for abandoned and relinquished Shih Tzu. We are an IRS recognized 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization. 100% of all donations are used to provide care for our shelter dogs. We have no paid staff and our facilities are donated. Our mission includes two special programs. (1) Adoptable dogs with injuries and medical ailments that are costly to treat and who would otherwise be scheduled to die are given the extra-ordinary medical care and lengthy rehabilitation they need to live happy complete lives. (2) Neglected and abused dogs with behavior issues ranging from aggression to fear that have the potential to become loving family members are enrolled in a remedial program with a professional trainer/behaviorist so they too can be successfully placed in “forever homes.” All dogs are kept in a cageless, home-like environment with access to over two fenced-in acres where they can run free. Our Shih Tzu are spayed/neutered prior to adoption, current on annual inoculations, flea/tick and heartworm preventative and have a microchip implant. Complete veterinarian wellness checks are done on all incoming pets and any necessary special tests, medical and/or surgical procedures are provided. Regularly scheduled grooming, parasite checks and treatment are also included as a part of our routine care. All dogs are temperament and personality tested so adopters can be matched with a dog that will best suit their expectations and lifestyle. Follow-up assistance is provided to help the Shih Tzu and new caregiver through the transition period. We provide breed specific and general educational materials for Shih Tzu owners, or potential owners, as well as consultation and training services. We will work with Shih Tzu owners considering giving up their pets, offering alternatives and education in an effort to help keep the Shih Tzu in it's current home.
MARK YOUR CALENDARS:
If you are interested in volunteering at any of the following events email us and we will get back to you.
Here is a list of upcoming 2019 special events . . . get them on your calendar early . . . . Additional information for each event will be posted closer to the start date.
- Friday, Saturday & Sunday March 15, 16 & 17, 2019 - Chicagoland Family Pet Expo - Arlington International Racecourse;
- Saturday & Sunday, May 4 & 5, 2019 - Chicago Pet Show - Oak Lawn Pavilion;
- Sunday, September 29, 2019 - Barkapalooza - Lisle Community Park;
- Saturday & Sunday, November 9 & 10, 2019 - Chicago Pet Show - Kane County Fair Grounds.
Chicagoland Family Pet Expo - Arlington International Racecourse
Get ready for the Excitement! The Crowds! The 2019 Chicagoland Family Pet Expo! will take place Friday, March 15, 1pm to 9pm; Saturday, March 16, 9am to 6pm; and, Sunday, March 17, 10am to 5pm; at the Arlington Int'l Racecourse (2200 W. Euclid Ave., Arlington Heights, IL). The Chicagoland Family Pet Expo is America's largest pet expo with over 250 exhibits of pet products, services, rescues . . . PLUS . . . world class entertainment and many pets to see and touch. Help us earn $$$'s... print and use our $1 off STRAES DISCOUNT COUPON . . . print additional coupons and hand them out to EVERYONE!! ~ ~ For every discount coupon turned in with our name on it, $1 of the admission fee will be donated to S.T.R.A.E.S. ~ ~
The Expo gives S.T.R.A.E.S. a wonderful opportunity to reach hundreds of Shih Tzu lovers and potential Shih Tzu lovers, make them aware of our shelter and our loving homeless pets, show off our wonderful dogs (volunteers can bring their dogs or just bring photos) and talk endless Shih Tzu! ~ We have reserved adjoining booths -- 520, 521 & 522 -- 2nd floor. ~ Our beautiful handmade FurBaby Blankies and popular FurBaby Scrunchy Collars will be on display. We will have a raffle drawing at the close of the show for a gift basket filled with doggy and people delights (winner need not be present) ... To make our participation in this exciting three day event a success and earn money for our shelter pets, we are going to need a lot of volunteers. Please contact us if you are interested in volunteering to work in our booth during the show, even a couple of hours would be a great help!!
Chicago Pet Show - Oak Lawn Pavilion
Please join us at the Chicago Pet Show on Saturday & Sunday, May 4 & 5, 10am to 5pm, at the Oak Lawn Pavilion, 9401 S. Oak Park Ave. in Oak Lawn. Use our S.T.R.A.E.S. discount coupon at the door. When you use our discount coupon you will save $1 off the $7 adult admission fee AND one-half ($3) of that admission fee will be donated back to our shelter. Adult tickets are good for the entire weekend ~ Seniors are Free ~ Kids under 18 are Free ~ Parking is Free ~ Bring your entire family for a fun filled affordable weekend. There will be entertaining pet activities, several petting areas, pet services and products, cold blooded creatures and a whole lot more! ... Rescues, Shelters & Humane Societies will be showing dogs, cats and other animals available for adoption ... Come learn and play with us ... Stop by our booth and share your Shih Tzu stories and pictures and talk endless Shih Tzu! Our beautiful handmade FurBaby Blankies and popular FurBaby Scrunchy Collars will be available. We will have a raffle drawing at the close of the show for a gift basket filled with doggy and people delights (winner need not be present) ... Help us earn $$$$'s... print additional S.T.R.A.E.S. discount coupons ... hand them out to ONE AND ALL ... Everyone is invited to join in the fun . . . Please contact us if you are interested in volunteering to work in our booth during the show, even a couple of hours would be a great help!!
Back to top
WANT TO HELP US WITH GREAT FUNDRAISERS?
Do you have an idea you are willing to develop and coordinate that would help to support S.T.R.A.E.S. efforts to give Shih Tzu a second chance at life and a loving home? Please email us and we will get back to you. We appreciate your support..
Back to top
ADOPTING A FRIEND
Click Our Pet List for a list of our adoptable dogs. A full description of any dog can be displayed by clicking on the name of that specific dog. Our adoption applications are NOT available online. If you are interested in adopting one of our homeless pets, you can complete our adoption application after you have visited with our adoptable dogs at one of the adoption events listed below. The Safehouse is NOT open to the public. We do not take all the dogs to every event. Our dogs are NOT available for same day adoptions. We accept multiple applications for our dogs. The application process is multi-step and can take a couple of weeks.
Adoption Events --
In 2019, we are scheduled to show our available dogs at the PETsMART store in Crestwood, IL (4975 Cal Sag Rd.) on the first and second Saturdays of every month between 10:30am & 2pm.
Schedule changes will be posted here and on STRAES Facebook page.
All of the Safehouse’s off site events for the month of February, 2019 have been cancelled. This includes the two adoption events at the Crestwood Petsmart on February 2nd and 9th, 2019. We anticipate resuming our normal schedule in March, starting with the adoption event on Saturday, March 2, 2019.
A Few of Our Requirements
Back to top
- Adopter must be at least 21 years of age and have identification and proof of address.
- We do NOT adopt out-of-state. Adopters must live in Illinois AND in the Chicago or suburban area (i.e., land line area codes 708, 630, 331, 847, 312, 773, 872, 815 and 779).
- Adopter must provide the name, phone number and relationship of three local references (only one relative can be listed as a reference).
- We do not adopt to homes with children under the age of 6 years (or homes where day care is provided for young children).
- Applicants over the age of 62 may not adopt dogs under the age of 3 years.
- No more than one dog (under the age of 10 years) and three cats may reside in the Adopter's household and the resident dog must be spayed/neutered.
- All members of the adopting household must be interviewed including any resident dog before the final adoption can take place.
OUR WISH LIST
- Walmart, PETsMART, Pet Supplies Plus and PetCo gift cards are always helpful.
- Small dog size soft doggy treats.
- Nature’s Recipe Grain Free Salmon, Sweet Potato & Pumpkin Recipe dry kibble.
- Office supplies such as: postage stamps, letter size hanging folders, easy peel address and mailing labels, hp Officejet Ink Cartridge 950XL & 951XL, etc.
- Cleaning supplies such as: paper towels, disinfecting wipes, disinfecting spray, dish and laundry detergent, bleach, etc.
- We desperately need volunteers to help at our monthly PETsMART store visits: talk to potential adopters, take the dogs out for a potty break, setup and tear down. This is the ONLY way our dogs can meet the public and find their forever new home. The number of dogs presented at the store depends on the number of volunteers that are there to support us.
- Most of all, we are in need of funds to allow us to continue to provide medical care and shelter for our unwanted, abused and abandoned Shih Tzu.
- A caring way to memorialize or celebrate a beloved pet or pet lover is through a remembrance donation. Your gift will assist S.T.R.A.E.S. in caring for our special charges. The honoree is sent an appropriate card informing them of your thoughtful gift. You are sent a heartfelt acknowledgement card as a receipt.
- S.T.R.A.E.S. is an all volunteer organization, there is no paid staff and our facilities are donated. 100% of all donations are used to provide care for our shelter dogs. We are an IRS recognized 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization, your donation is tax deductable.
Click here for address information.
Shop at any of these online sites and they will make a cash donation to our shelter.
Support us every time you shop and help us save Shih Tzu in need.
Buy your pet supplies at any of these online pet stores and they will make a cash donation to our shelter.
Sloppy Kiss Cards are high quality animated ecards for dog lovers.
You get to select and name the dog that stars in every ecard you send.
The Sloppy Kiss Cards dog gallery features a Shih Tzu!
To join click here and enter STRAES in the "charity code" field.
Our dogs love to sleep on Kuranda Dog beds with soft fleece bed pads.
Reward your pet with the gift of a Kuranda dog bed and soft fleece bed pad and
Kuranda will donate 10% of your order to our shelter:
Kuranda Dog Beds
Back to top
Shih Tzu Rescue, Adoption and Education Safehouse (S.T.R.A.E.S.)
14015 Lemont Road
Homer Glen, IL 60491-5821
[Home] [Information] [Shelters] [Search]